Constance turned 2 years old this week.
In preparation for this event, Tom and I tried to increase her number awareness. We counted to three with her whenever possible and started quizzing her about how old she was going to be. She picked up on it pretty quickly but most of the time refused to say any other number besides two. We'd say, "Let's count. One . . . Two . . . Three." And she would chime in loudly for the "two" but stay silent for the others. We knew we had done our job when on her birthday morning I asked her how old she was and she said "Two!!!" (while holding up three fingers).
Her language acquisition seemed to suddenly speed up in just the past few weeks. She says more and more full sentences. These are some of her favorites:
"More apple juice, cheese!"
"Daddy's in the shower."
"Where did Papa go?"
"Papa's at the house."
"Daddy's silly." "Mom's serious."
"No, I want to play more."
"It's cooking."
"I want to go too."
Her main objective each day seems to be to (1) track what everyone is doing in the house and where they are at and (2) make sure there is an endless supply of apple juice. There are various versions of "apple juice."
We have Papa apple juice.
Daddy apple juice.
And Mommy apple juice (my herbal tea).
She's also suddenly switched to mostly just saying "Mom" or "Dad." None of the cute "Mama" or "Dada" anymore.
She wants to buckle herself into her highchair and carseat all by herself.
She wants to make her morning "cakes" all by herself.
She wants to clean the toilet using the toilet brush.
She wants to put toothpaste on her toothbrush and brush her teeth all by herself.
And speaking of teeth, Constance went and saw the dentist this week. She was very quiet and timid while we were there but let them see her teeth and clean them without any complaints. The only thing she wouldn't let them do was take X-rays which I was personally just fine with.
Sometimes she's just too cute.
She loved the glasses they gave her to wear.
Then we walked out of the exam room and she selected a purple (her favorite color) toothbrush and a glittery plastic bug to take home.
Her and I have come up with the perfect game to play in the evening when I'm often too sick to do much more than lie on the floor in a fetal position. She preps a little spot on her bedroom floor for me to lie down on, complete with a soft fluffy pillow for my head and a blanket to snuggle in. Once I'm settled, she tells me to go "night, night" and then runs out of the room and roars at Daddy (who is usually too occupied to notice) then runs back into the room and roars at me. I wake up with a start and tickle her. We do this at least 30 more times before she takes a break and does some "bops" on her bed.
We were doing this game the other night when my mom called. She was under the impression that Constance's birthday was on the 14th and wouldn't listen long enough for me to correct her. Meanwhile, my dad called the day before Constance's birthday and wanted to wish her a happy birthday when I informed him that he was a day early. He said he'd call back on her birthday but I'm pretty sure the surf was up because he never did.
Other grandparents, such as the ones who sent Constance a birthday card with a cut out princess crown in it, don't seem to have a problem remembering when her birthday is even though they have multiple grandchildren.
Funny isn't it? You tend to remember the things you preoccupy yourself with.
Not that it matters too much when she's so little. We're celebrating her birthday on Saturday anyways.








No comments:
Post a Comment