Sunday, May 26, 2013

Food!

For Mother's Day, Tom gave me a coupon for a free meal. I cashed in this Sunday and the result was a stunning 5-course meal inspired by some of our favorite Futurama episodes.

I was escorted into the dining room and presented with this menu

 The meal started off with Brannigan's best.
 1st course - Leela's Miniature Fruit Salad
2nd course - Zapp Brannigan's Very Sensual Salad with a Very Low-fat Sensual Dressing. This was a very very good Asian salad with dried pineapple chunks among other things.
Bender joined us at this point to supervise the meal as each course came out. He seemed to think that the food didn't have enough salt, but you can't really trust the taste buds of a robot.
 3rd course - Fry's Truck Stop Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich with Bachelor Chow. I should probably point out at this point that the entire meal, including this course, was vegan. What was in the vegan egg salad sandwich? It's a secret recipe but I can tell you that it did have avocado in it.
 Pretty tasty!!!
 Next up was course #4 with a Teriyaki kick to it.
 Popplers Teryaki Style with Rice. The crazy hippie guy in Futurama would have liked these Popplers as they are not made from any of "mother nature's creatures."
 Chef Thomas Stone. 
5th course - Fry's Freshilicious Ice Cream Sandwiches. Yes, this was vegan too.

What a great meal! The bar has been set and I will have to try and match this for Tom's 5-course Father's Day meal.

Meanwhile, Constance has been enjoying some pretty exciting meals as well, though these have been only one course. At 6 months with her two bottom teeth and her persistent interest in reaching for whatever food Tom and I are eating, Constance seemed ready to start solids. Her first meal was in our kitchen sitting in her infant seat with her new big girl bib. Tom provided the media coverage, I prepared the food (pureed avocado mixed with milk), and Constance gingerly accepted the first bite. The look on her face was priceless--"What did you just put in my mouth?"
She started out fighting for control of the spoon but has since become very good at opening her mouth wide and accepting each spoonful. I conducted a follow-up interview with her to get her feelings about the meal. She seemed affirmative but did not care to elaborate.
After a couple days of avocado, I decided to expand her diet. For her next meal, I had to gather this eager audience. You see, you simply can't introduce bananas to a baby without including our dear monkeys.
 All six of them crowded around Constance as she prepared to take her first bite of this delicious yellow fruit.
She has officially been initiated into the monkey clan. She already squeaks like a monkey, squirms like a monkey, and now finally eats like a monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment