Sunday, September 25, 2016

Constance's First Primary Program

This year was Constance's first time participating in a Primary program at church.

Unfortunately, everything didn't go perfectly. First off, because of stake conference and then general conference, the Primary children were only able to practice twice before the actual program. Constance was at the first Sunday practice but then got sick and missed the final practice which was during the week.

It all started at Ana's well-child check up the Friday before. Everyone was well and happy then but not even a day later, Ana started looking very unwell: watery eyes, mild fever, and then the endless coughing and gasping for air. Her doctor diagnosed it as croup and said she had probably caught it the last time we were at the doctor's office. Ana has had croup before but it was definitely not this bad. She spent at least two days where every breath she took required her sucking in her stomach and gasping for air. And this wasn't even at night. Then came the endless clinginess. I love cuddling with my little Mommy's girl but it got to the point where I couldn't even walk to the other room to get dressed in the morning.

Then the day of the Primary program practice, Constance woke up with a fever. It stuck around all day and so I ended up leaving her and Ana home while I went and played the piano for the other Primary kids. Luckily, Constance's sickness didn't end up in endless coughing like Ana's did, but she did lose her voice. Sunday morning, I was still unsure if she would even be able to say her part because her voice was so strained when she first woke up. Luckily it got better as the morning progressed.

Grandma and Grandpa came to see Constance in the Primary program. She sat up there with all of the other kids on the stand. But unfortunately I think the fact that I was up there too playing the piano was a little distracting for her. I did get to see some of her antics though, which included stretching her legs out sideways so that her shoes were right in the face of the little boy sitting next to her and then getting in a heated argument with him about the bones in her body.

But she went up to the front and said her part into the microphone with no problem and sat in her chair about 40% of the time. It sure is hard being little!

Meanwhile, down in the congregation, Ana was in heaven with Grandma and Grandpa taking care of her every need and want, with endless snacks and toys that she didn't have to share with an older sister.

So all in all, it was a great first Primary program for Constance. Next time, though, I'll try to not schedule a routine visit to the doctor's the week before.


No comments:

Post a Comment