Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Day in Southern California

This past Saturday was like spending a day in Southern California. At least that's what it reminded me of.

I woke up and packed a grumpy toddler into the car so we could go to the farmer's market. It was such a weird morning because the sky was completely overcast and foggy. It reminded me of practically every morning in Costa Mesa. The only thing I was missing was the sea breeze and saltiness in the air--and my Grandma and Grandpa who were fortunate to live in a small house right on the beach.

When we lived in Costa Mesa, Mom and I went to the farmer's market every week to get produce. That was the bulk of our grocery shopping. The farmer's markets back there were pretty big with a great selection of fruits and vegetables--none of this artsy crafty stuff. I've been disappointed with every farmer's market I've been to since then.

But the one we went to in Old Colorado City was pretty good. They had peaches, melons, pears, nectarines, veggies, and boxes upon boxes of tomatoes. I was there for the fruit. Should I be embarrassed that I can eat an entire case of peaches pretty much all by myself in a week? I hope not.

Constance and I came home just in time to wake up Tom.

Then we were off to an "office party" at Tom's boss's house.

We were curious how big and fancy this house was going to be. Greg has been a practicing attorney for many years and is getting ready to retire soon. Attorneys are supposed to have fancy houses right?

Actually it was quite modest. Not much bigger than Tom's parent's house but recently updated with lots of custom features and new furniture. The back yard isn't huge but has a pool and a putting area which the kids took full advantage of.

Daddy took Constance in the pool--her first time. I was worried she would cry but she seems to have overcome most of her fear of water. Of course, it helped that Tom just let her hold onto him and didn't try and dunk her in the water like the other Dad was doing.




 Meanwhile I stood on the sidelines and took pictures. I haven't owned a swimsuit in years. Sad news for a Hawaii girl.

Constance had a lot of fun playing golf. She picked up on it really quickly.

The food was very delicious too. It was one of the best parties we've been to. Our friends definitely need to throw more parties for us to come to--hint, hint.

After Constance's nap, we decided to go to American Furniture and look for a loveseat. The seating situation upstairs is less than ideal right now. If you don't want to sit at the dining table or on the piano then the only other option is the floor, which is kind of hard.

With Tom's bad back we really needed something comfortable so he won't always have to go downstairs when he comes home from work, leaving Constance and I upstairs to conspire over a dinner of sorts.

We sat on practically every loveseat we could find in the store. They were either extremely uncomfortable or unpleasant to look at. Finally, we took the elevator to the second floor where we found this--the dream come true.

It was pricey, but not as pricey as you would expect.

After a long time of sitting on that cloud of luxury, we headed home to recheck our measurements and search for a money tree.

We're still looking for that tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment