Saturday, May 10, 2014

Our Little Person

Constance is 18 months this month. She's officially a little person.

She brushes her own hair and teeth.

She has opinions about TV shows.
Mickey Mouse, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and the Hive are at the top. We try not to let her watch too much TV. . . . . . . . . . . . but around the time she was born we were going through a Simpson faze (the only explainable way to describe our watching multiple episodes a night while Tom did his law school reading). So she's grown up with that theme song stuck in her head and every time it comes on, she squeals.

Constance balances her entertainment with piles of books which we read over and over and over and over. Her favorites are the peekaboo books that have the flaps she can lift and see what is underneath. I think we can safely say her favorite activity is reading. We make good use of my library card.

I tried putting all of her books in her bookshelves but that got too messy and she got too frustrated trying to put things back. So now I keep a small rotation of books lined up along the wall. She watched me put the books back a couple times and then figured out how to do it herself. It makes her so happy when she can manage her own affairs.
She is fascinated with any toy with wheels. I bought her a toy car at the dollar store and she's been transporting that vehicle all over our house. She likes the pull-along toys as well and we have a wood train that dates back to when I was kid which she pulls in circles around the couch.

Constance has recently expanded her repertoire of words. For the longest time she was stuck on "Mama" (rare), "Dadadadada" (very common), "apple," "hi," "babababababa," and "yayayayayayaya." Now she can say "dirty diaper," "thank you," "good," "yes," and "here." She speaks in full sentences complete with hand gestures and complicated intonations. I wish we had a baby translator because her statements are quite intriguing.

We do lots of "practical life" around the house. She's lost interest in most of her toys (partly because I need to get her more age-appropriate activities) and just wants to help me.
So we've figured out ways to work together to
sweep the floor (she holds the dustpan while I sweep then I help her throw the dirt and dust in the trash) clean up (she will throw things in the "gomi" upon request)
cook (she helps throw things in the mixing bowl or pot)
wash dishes (I fill up the sink with water and soap and she plays with the bubbles and helps me rinse)
put the dishes away (she carefully takes the clean dishes out of the dishwasher and hands them to me)
fix the bed (she picks up the pillows and hands them to me)
and fold laundry (she plays in the warm laundry while I fold and stack the clothes at a safe distance from her reach).
I love the age that she is at right now because it is getting easier to include her in activities around the house and easier for me to get things done.
Constance still really enjoys being around other little kids. She loves to watch them play and will collect toys and hand them out. We've had to divide the car between Tom and I mostly to save on gas but on the days when I have the car, I try to take her someplace where she can interact with other kids. Our favorites are the mall play area, the park, and the library.
In honor of the upcoming Mother's Day, Tom taught Constance to shake her finger at me. I will have to help her perfect her eye roll for Father's Day.
This statement on our fridge pretty much sums up life.


No comments:

Post a Comment