Sunday, February 2, 2014

Starting Off the New Year

2014 is going to a year of great adventure, formidable challenges, breathtaking triumphs, and monumental steps.

We began on January 1 2014 in the family basement with our boxes and living essentials piled high around us, absolutely no income or prospect of one, mystery illness and nonmysterious medical bills, and a little one-year old pinching our faces and laughing hysterically. January started out as a pretty depressing month. But apparently once you think you've hit your lowest, that's when you get pushed a little lower and then something really good happens.

First off, Tom got his dream calling as Sunday School teacher and I as Primary pianist. It's a good thing they didn't switch our callings between us because then it would have instead been "the calling most like unto a nightmare."

Two weeks ago, Tom received a random voicemail on a Monday morning while he was in the shower. It was from a law firm here in Colorado Springs. Tom called them back and had a brief phone interview. The next day he went in for a 60-minute-long, in-person interview. I got pretty far in The Brothers Karamazov (the book I've been trying to read for the past year) before he finally came out. The next week he had a job offer. Looks like we'll be staying here in the Springs!

I took Tom suit shopping this past week. It's the first time clothes shopping where (1) he has actually come with me and (2) he was excited about it. We made a nice investment at Joseph A. Banks in 2 suits and 2 pairs of dress shoes. While Tom was receiving advice about suits, trying them on, and getting measured for adjustments, Constance wandered around the entire store and reviewed the inventory.


We've also met with a realtor and are considering housing options. I am most excited about the prospect of having a little more space and privacy for ourselves (apparently there are just so many ways to rearrange the piles of stuff without it being absolutely useless). It will probably be a small condo/townhome to get us through the next few years while Tom gets experience at the firm and slowly works up the pay scale.

In the meantime, I'm editing again, which is something I greatly enjoy. If trends continue, 2014 should be a really good year, perhaps even better than 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment