Thursday, August 1, 2013

Surviving the Bar Exam (part 2)

(If you haven't read part 1 of this story you really should)
Day #2 of the bar exam was 200 multiple choice questions split into two 3-hour blocks. Constance and I checked out of the hotel in the morning and then met Tom during his lunch break.

This was lunch
For the rest of the afternoon while Tom was test-taking, we wandered around, mostly along 16th street mall trying to avoid the creepy homeless people and cigarette smoke. Every so often I would head back to the convention center to use the restroom, change Constance's diaper, and feed her. It was the only safe, cool place I could find. The only problem is that once Constance was happy and wanted to play, her loud squawks and squeaks echoed all over the building. With the enormously high ceilings, she sounded like an opera singer of sorts, and I was very self-conscious especially since one of the security/information workers kept on trying to usher me into a "mother's room."

Finally around 5:15 pm we saw some people emerge from the end of the hall. They were running. Then more people trickled out--and then an overwhelming crowd.
Here's what I overheard the bar exam takers say as they walked out:
"60 [percent] ... isn't that what we have to get?"
"That was a ---- hard question."
"We are not the bottom X percent--we are fine!"
"What was the answer to that question?"
"There were a lot of really hard...." [crying]
And my favorite:
"I don't want to feel miserable. I just want a day where I feel . . . decent."

Here is the person we were craning our necks to see. Surprisingly, no one at the bar exam commented on his shirt. The only one who did was the cashier guy at the gas station where we stopped in the morning on our way into downtown. He said: "Robot law? That's the only kind of law."

Although the bar exam is finally over, the suspense continues. It's hard to be fully happy and relaxed when you don't know whether you passed or not. At least no more 12-hour long study sessions every day. Hmmm, what did we do when life was "normal" anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment